Thursday, August 19, 2010

Words can't describe...

Words can't describe the shock we felt in the early morning hours on Tuesday, August 3rd when we got a call from Jon's mom telling us they were taking his dad to the hospital via ambulance for a pain in his chest. We both thought it was simply a complication from his ankle injury. In July they had gone to Maine and he was hiking and ended up breaking his ankle. He had some complications with a skin infection from that so we assumed it was another complication. Jon got up and left around 12:45am. By 1:45am I couldn't stand the wait so I called. I knew that it wasn't good when my sweet husband was crying. His dad had passed away from a blood clot that had traveled to his heart. The shock was too much to swallow. I couldn't believe my ears. The man who rides his bike everyone, who eats healthier than anyone I know...is gone at 58 years old. My heart broke. What do you say to someone who loses their dad when they are only 29 years old? We are so grateful for the gospel and the knowledge we have of the atonement and that we can be a family forever. That is the only thing that has gotten us through this. David was truly the most amazing man. He loved the Lord and served every chance he got. We all feel like we have huge shoes to fill to try to be half the man he was. He was such a good dad and grandpa. I'm so glad I got to be part of his family; I'm honored to be his daughter-in-law. I know that we will meet again but I wish we had more time with him. I feel like I had so much more to learn from him. I just have to remind myself that it is the Lord's plan... It doesn't make it any easier though.

1 comment:

Emily B said...

I'm so sorry about your father-in-law, Jen. My sister was in their ward in Southern Highlands, and she told me that he passed away. He was a good guy and a great Bishop.