Friday, August 15, 2008

A Sad Day for the Seeley Family and a Young Teenage Girl


Today I learned that Montell Seeley, a great uncle*, was killed in a tragic accident on Tuesday, August 12.

"There was a tragic end to a re-enactment of a pioneer trek in central Utah this morning. A 14-year-old girl was killed, as was a man (Montell Seeley) well known in Emery County for keeping the pioneer spirit alive.
The tragedy struck this morning near the community of Fairview. A teenage girl from Tropic, Utah was killed, along with the founder of the Castle Valley Pageant, which just wrapped up its season Saturday night. Twelve people had just set out for what was suppose to be a week-long pioneer-era trek. They started in Fairview and planned to arrive in Castle Dale on Saturday. But after less than a mile, tragedy struck along the highway. Just ten minutes after leaving their camp, a pickup truck struck them from behind. Trooper Cameron Roden of the Utah Highway Patrol said, "The 13-year-old female was behind the handcart walking and was struck by the vehicle. The vehicle then veered to the left where it struck a 74-year-old male who saw the vehicle coming and was trying to flag down the driver, to get his attention to stop, when he was struck and killed as well. Both died on scene."
There were 4 others seriously injured, two of which were his young grandchildren. We will be praying for them.

A couple of years ago were able to go up to Castle Dale, Utah for a family reunion and see his home and see the pageant he and his wife wrote and it was a very memorable experience. He and his wife have also published 2 very thick family books; he was actually in the process of finishing the 3 one. He and his wife sent out family newsletters every couple of months that made all the distant family feel close although separated by several hundreds of miles. Montell was an amazing, talented man who had such a wonderful spirit. He is going to be greatly missed. He has and will always be an example to my family.

*He was actually a second cousin, twice removed for all the anal people out there. But he was more like a great uncle to us.*

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got sentimental about this. I hardly knew him! But I guess that just goes to show what a great guy he was.

Bronson Clan said...

I'm so sorry Jen! That is awful. We'll keep his family in our prayers. And I love the Nauvoo pictures. When I was growing up, we lived 2 hours from Nauvoo, and I loved going there on vacations. We were even in the pagaent one year. I'm glad you guys had such a great trip. You all look great!

Rosanne said...

Nice tribute Jen! I enjoyed reading it.

John and Heather Davis said...

Jen I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with your family!

Lindsay said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you and other family members are able to find some peace during this difficult time. We will be thinking about you.