Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sheriff's Citizen's Academy

Jon and I "graduated" from our Sheriff's Citizen's Academy class last Wednesday and let me tell you, I am sad that I won't be going to the Sheriff's office this Wednesday. It was so much fun learning about the Sheriffs Office (dispatch, investigations, patrol, courts, jail...). We had a great time and HIGHLY recommend for anyone to check out to see if your county offers something similar. This is our class.
We had some really annoying storytellers, but mostly it was a great bunch of people. They guy on the left in the red shirt is our sheriff and I REALLY like him. This is the first thing you see when you go to our Sheriff's office website:
"The Sheriff has issued a message to anyone with the intent to criminally victimize citizens in Cass County;
CRIMINALS BEWARE, Citizens in Cass County have the right to self protection."

AMEN!! How can you not like him!!!
A few weeks ago I got to sit in at dispatch and listen to all the 911 calls on a Friday night. I was expecting to hear some crazy stuff, but apparently Cass county isn't too exciting. The most we hear about was some cows on the road and a few suspected drunks. But today I got to sit in at the jail and that was really interesting. I REALLY enjoyed it. I was there for 7 hours and I was siting in the master control station (the person who opens and closed every door and pretty much communicates with any prisoner for any need they have, which was A LOT) for the men part of the jail. The lady in there watched over all the men (from Minimum to Maximum security). It was amazing how sweet she was to all of them, no matter what they were there for and the even more amazing them was how SUPER NICE they were to her. It was really an eye opener to see what a prisoner life is like and what it is like to be the deputy over them. In another few weeks I get to go on my ride along. I'm sure that will be fun too!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Jen, you are to funny! I think i would be scared to shoot a gun or anything youve done! Keep rockin it, you'll be the fierscest citizen out there!

Bronson Clan said...

That is so funny/unexpected/cool! You are awesome. We sure miss you guys!

Tracie said...

I wanted to come over here and reply to you about what happened to you at Target. What I recommend is that you always keep Customer Service's number in your purse and if they pull something like this, just be polite to let them know that you will be happy to have the suspend your purchase and have the manager speak with customer service about this matter. Sometimes, that is enough to make them stop doing the wrong thing.

I am just so sorry that you had a bad experience with this. It is most certainly wrong and not in conjunction with the corporate policy and corporate would most certainly put a stop to it.

Let me know if I can help out in any other way. Thanks for following my site and I hope that you don't have any other bad experiences like this again.

Tracie - KC Penny Pinchin Mama

Ronda said...

That is crazy. It sounds like you are learning alot. I would probably be scared.