Thursday, April 16, 2009

Today, I remember


Today I have thought a lot about the 2 year anniversary of the massive killings at Virginia Tech. 32 innocent people went to school and work not knowing it would be their last day on this Earth. It so easily could have been anyone. That day will never leave my mind. The fear of losing my husband has never been so real. For those of you who don't know, Jon went to Virginia Tech and was in his office working that day. His office building is the one next to Norris Hall where the majority of the shootings occurred. We were so blessed that he was safe as were all others from our ward. What an amazing blessing! I know that we were all watched over that day. As I reflect on my thoughts from that day and the week from our Stake Conference with Elder Bednar, I am so grateful for the lessons that I learned from an Apostle of the Lord. His message was so perfect and precise. Each time that I review my notes from those 2 days of conference, I feel some of the amazing spirit that filled that chapel and I feel spiritual feed once again. Today, I remembered. I remember that the little, petty things just don't matter. I remember to tell people that I love them because we never know when our time on this Earth will come to an end. I remembered to try to enjoy the things that I take advantage of. I held my children more; I kissed them and told them how much I loved them. I held my husband and told him how grateful I am for him. I will always remember that day...

5 comments:

shalynn said...

wow! how scary for your husband to be there! isn't crazy how moments like that change our lives and how we look at them. i would have never known this was the anniversary, but knowing someone who was affected brings it closer to home for me and magnifies my appreciation for life. THANKS!

Sarah said...

Great post Jen, I too am so thankful that Jon was safe. These experiences in life really do change how we look at life and how precious it is.

Ronda said...

I remember that day too, and calling you to make sure everything was alright with you guys. I hope you know I love you!

Emily B said...

I had no idea Jon was so close to those shootings. How scary for your family. I'm glad he's okay, too.

Emily B said...

Jen - Do your brothers work for Metro? I'll have to ask Bret if he has ever worked with them.